Kilimanjaro GPS Map for Garmin
This page covers the use of software supplied by GPS Travel Maps, designed to be used in conjunction with Garmin’s BaseCamp software, and is recommended for climbers wanting to see details of topography and terrain on their handheld units, while climbing Kilimanjaro.
- For those who use smaller, wrist-
mounted GPS units and are interested only in recording their tracks for later perusal on Google Earth, or similar, we recommend opening a free account with Garmin Connect.
- Those simply wanting to track a friend or relative on Kilimanjaro on Team Kilimanjaro’s Google Map, should click here to track a climber.
Although climbing Kilimanjaro with TK doesn’t require any navigational abilities on your part, many of our climbers choose to bring their GPS’s with them so as to be able to monitor accurately how much distance or rise and fall they have covered each day. It is with these climbers in mind who, until now, were having to create a new track across a blank screen that is devoid of any interesting references, that we are very pleased to recommend this software.
Additionally, many climbers like to view the GPS tracks of their hike when they return home, in order to share details with their friends and family, and to analyse distances, profiles, and elevation gains.
The GPS Map that we recommend for Garmin devices includes hiking routes to the summit, park boundaries both for Kilimanjaro and Arusha National Parks (for those considering an acclimatisation climb on nearby Mount Meru), as well as national and local roads, rivers and streams, lakes and wetlands, airports, campsites, and a lot more.
How to Use the Kilimanjaro GPS Map
Before your trip to Mount Kilimanjaro –
- Purchase the Mt. Kilimanjaro GPS Map from GPSeTravelGuides.com
- Download Garmin BaseCamp –
free software used to view your tracks.
- Open your Garmin user manual to make sure your device supports collecting a trip log.
- Turn on the trip log.
- Edit the trip log settings.
- Make sure you have enough space on your device to hold the trip logs.
If you do not have enough space on your device, we recommend adding an SD card that will hold the trip logs. Make sure the trip logs are being written to the SD card. Again, check your settings in your Garmin GPS device.
Once You Return from Kilimanjaro
- Open Garmin BaseCamp.
- Open the Kilimanjaro map. Select: View > Map > Product > Kilimanjaro.
- Connect your GPS device via a USB cable to your computer.
- Click your device name in the Library and Devices area, (left side on BaseCamp)
- Click a track on your device, (lower left BaseCamp). To select multiple items, hold Ctrl on your keyboard, and click the items in turn.
In the event that you have already climbed Kilimanjaro and are looking for adventures elsewhere, you may wish to peruse the range of other GPS maps available from GPSeTravelGuides.com.
Share this page
Share this page with your friends and challenge them to challenge themselves!