Rebecca's Speed Ascent Record
On 21st May 2005 Rebecca attempted her first speed climb of Kilimanjaro, starting from Marangu Gate at around noon, following some administrative delays imposed by the park authorities. She summitted Kilimanjaro in the middle of the night; a little before 0200, in high winds and a snow storm. While the men’s record is attempted on an almost annual basis, Rebecca's record stood for four years before being beaten.
Rebecca’s attempt was a timed ascent only, and she walked down the mountain.
Ascent-only time on Marangu (Tourist) Route, 21st May 2005
- 13 hours 16 mins 37 secs
- unacclimatised, accompanied, supported
Overview of corroboration
- download and install a free trial of Memory Map software
- download and open this low resolution geo-referenced Kilimanjaro map onto which the GPS-captured overlay files will be laid
- download the women’s MMO files
- once overlay files are opened onto the Kilimanjaro map you’ll be able to hover your mouse over any point on the route and get a read-out of the athletes: time from start, instantaneous speed, altitude, etc. Garmin will confirm that these 3 dimensional positional files are not programmable and are therefore tamperproof
Heart rate / barometric altimeter verification
- download and install a free trial of Polar Precision Performance software
- then download the athlete’s Polar heart rate / barometric altimeter files
- note that during capture of Polar active files the altimeter cannot be recalibrated without terminating the file. Assuming an authentic starting elevation this feature makes these files tamperproof. Barometric altimeters will however have an error of up to 5% when not calibrated over a course of approximately 4,000 m height gain