5 Day Mt Kenya Trek & 7 Day Superlite Climb on TK Rongai
This itinerary is recommended throughout the year.
27th December 2022: Arrive at Nairobi International Airport (NBO) at 2100 and transfer to Four Points by Sheraton Nairobi Airport (own booking, accommodation and taxi).
28th December 2022: Collected by your mountain guide, chef and driver for transfer to Naro Moru Park Gate at 2,400m where we meet our porters and begin the trek (around 3-4 hours) to the Met Station at 3,050m on the western hills of Mount Kenya.
29th December 2022: Trek around 5-6 hours from Met Station to Mackinder Camp at 4,200m.
30th December 2022: Acclimatisation excursion options at guide's discretion. Option 1 (short) - Ascend Teleki Valley to Teleki Tarn at 2,291m. Option 2 (long) - Ascend beyond American Camp to Tyndall Tarn at 4,463m. Return to Mackinder Camp for very early dinner and sleep.
31st December 2022: Begin the summit bid at around 0300, aiming to reach Point Lenana 4,985m at dawn. Descend to Old Moses Camp at 3,300m for overnight.
1st January 2023: Descend from Old Moses Camp to Sirimon Park Gate at 2,600m where we'll be met by a vehicle at around lunch time and transported by private vehicle back to Nairobi for overnight at Radisson Blu Hotel / Best Western Meridian, or nearby hotel (own booking).
2nd January 2023: Short walk from your hotel to Jevanjee Gardens where you'll board the Riverside Shuttle at 0730 for the 0800 departure. The route crosses the border at Namanga where you'll be required to disembark, pass through security clearance, and complete immigration formalities. The bus should drop you at The Outpost Lodge at around 1400.
3rd January 2023: Your mountain guide and supporting crew will collect you from your hotel at approximately 0730 to transfer you to Kilimanjaro's Rongai Gate to start your open 7 day TK Rongai ‘Superlite Series’ climb, finishing on 9th January 2023.
A comprehensive itinerary of this route is available to download here 📥
9th January 2023: We will collect you from Marangu Gate when you finish your climb and transport you to Outpost Lodge for your overnight stay.
10th January 2023: At leisure in Arusha. After check out you are welcome to use the hotel’s pool and restaurant and to store your luggage with reception for safe keeping. Please let us know what time you would like to be collected for your flight from JRO this evening.
Prices per person in USD
|No. in group 👉||Solo||2 🧍||3 🧍||4 🧍||5 🧍||6+ 🧍|
|4 day Mt Kenya trek||$2,675||$1,840||$1,560||$1,420||$1,340||$1,280|
|5 day Mt Kenya trek||$2,962||$2,099||$1,812||$1,668||$1,582||$1,524|
|Nairobi to Arusha shuttle||$25|
|Outpost Lodge, per night, B&B||$50||$35|
|7 TK Rongai Superlite||$2,201||$2,013||$1,921||$1,897||$1,865||$1,841|
|KIA Lodge, per night, B&B||$127||$83|
Mobiles: scroll right for larger groups 👉
As per supplied costs advice, proposed arrangements include:
- Pick up from hotel near Nairobi Airport and transfer to Mount Kenya in dedicated private vehicle
- Guided ascent of Mount Kenya's trekking peak, Point Lenana, to include all necessary park fees
- Transfer in private vehicle from Mount Kenya to your preferred hotel in Nairobi
- Transfer in standard scheduled Riverside Shuttle Bus from Nairobi to Arusha
- Overnight at The Outpost Lodge in a twin and single room on B&B basis
- Collection in dedicated private vehicle from your hotel in Arusha and transfer to Kilimanjaro
- Guided ascent of Kilimanjaro, to include all necessary park fees
- Transfer in dedicated private vehicle from Kilimanjaro to KIA Lodge
- Overnight at KIA Lodge in a twin and single room on B&B basis
- On both Mount Kenya and Kilimanjaro: food provision and preparation; staff contingent of 1 x chief guide, 1 x assistant guide, 1 x chef, and 3 x porters (primarily for water carriage).
- Tips to mountain crew. Please see our Tipping page for recommendations.
- Meals other than breakfast at included hotels
- Beverages at included hotels
- Additionally requested services at included hotels, such as laundry, massage, etc.
- Hotel stays in Nairobi (airport and city centre)
- Additional porters charged at USD 20 per porter per day for Superlite / Lite Series hybrid options
- Food on the mountain is charged additionally if upgrading from Superlite to a hybrid option; approx. USD 96 per person on 4 climber basis - includes staff
- 4 and 5 day route options on Mt Kenya, with additional day to be spent at Mackinder's Camp with acclimatisation excursion to Teleki Tarn or Tyndall Tarn.
If you want to make a significant, positive contribution towards cleaning up Kilimanjaro and help us return its ecology to a pristine wilderness environment, please make use of the following payment facility:
Following Frank John's sad passing away in March 2022, some former climbers have requested the opportunity to contribute towards helping Frank's surviving wife, Clara, cover the costs for the family.
Several years ago, Team Kilimanjaro were approached by representatives of the Maasai community that live close to the Lake Natron region of northern Tanzania, with a request to assist villagers in obtaining clean water.
It is estimated that since the turn of the previous century, the world has lost more than 99% of its rhino population, and that today, only 29,000 of these majestic creatures survive.
Wilderness first aid is the knowledge and ability to effectively address injuries, illnesses, or emergencies outside of modern facilities, out in the wild. Skills include knowing how to dress a wound, treat a burn or bite, or set an injured limb. These are important skills that can save your life or the lives of other outdoor enthusiasts. Learn more and be better prepared for your next hiking or backpacking adventure.
Mobile users: Scroll right 👉
Many people spend a lot of time and money training and equipping themselves for a Kilimanjaro climb, only to fail in their objective of reaching the summit. Failure is avoidable and we really want trekkers to understand how to prevent it.
As from March 2021, PCR testing (or rather, sample-taking) is now available at Seronera and Ndutu airstrips in the Serengeti. This facility has been implemented to prevent clients having to either curtail their safaris or dissect their safaris with a journey to Arusha or, more recently, Karatu (FAME Hospital), mid-safari - so as to satisfy the "less than 72 hours old" validity rule that most airlines are required to enforce.
Arusha Pedal Series club aims to organise a group ride three times a week - on Mondays, Wednesdays or Thursdays, and Saturdays. All keen cyclists are welcome to join.
We read widely divergent estimates of deaths on Kilimanjaro, but how dangerous is it really? In this post we share our own experience of the dangers.
First of all - you can definitely still climb Kilimanjaro during COVID-19! There is absolutely no impediment within Tanzania. Issues only potentially arise with your own country's rules.
Although there is no requirement to have a PCR test for COVID in order to enter Tanzania, many climbers are nonetheless required by their airline to show evidence of a negative COVID test before boarding the flight home.