VIP Kilimanjaro Climbs
While all our clients are very important people we are nonetheless occasionally asked to customise climbs for VIPs. Travel professionals making enquiries on behalf of their VIP clients generally want the most exacting oversight, most competent and professional staffing for their clients, the most comfortable equipment, the safest movement and timings, the best chance of summiting, and the most exquisite cuisine.
It is with this genre of group in mind that we offer our Hemingway Series, which is without doubt the most exclusive and comfortable experience it is possible to enjoy while summiting Kilimanjaro.
In our experience, VIP climbers want to ensure that they're on the quietest, most successful route, and that they're not jostling with other climbers in crowded campsites.
With respect to the priorities of ensuring minimal crowds, the greatest likelihood of enjoying exclusive use of campsites along the route, and the best possible summit prospects, we offer only one route in our Hemingway Series: the TK Lemosho Route.
This route offers the following significant benefits:
- Almost complete absence of crowding. We typically enjoy exclusive use of most camps along the route from Moir Hut onwards.
- The best acclimatisation of all routes on Kilimanjaro, including use of the Lent Group of outcrops to acclimatise, at guide’s discretion and assessment of group's pace and condition, to some 4,300 - 4,670m on day 3
- Summit assault from School Hut - the quietest camp from which to launch the summit bid
- The gentlest (diagonal) approach to Hans Meyer Caves (5,243m) across the firmest terrain with best traction. Hans Meyer Cave is situated above the arduous, energy-depleting loose scree slopes up which most climbers are required to trudge
- Option of a day assault at guide’s discretion - in the event that the group wishes this
Benefits of the Hemingway Series
Our Hemingway Series treks include the following:
- Our top-ranked guiding team available on the trekking dates selected
- Exquisite cuisine prepared fresh on the mountain by our highest ranked chefs
- Very large sleeping tents for single / double occupation with en-suite ablutions facilities that include a modern take on Victorian-style bathing in a tub with jug and generous warm water supply, and individual lavatories
- A personal day sack porter for each climber, negating any requirement for the climber to carry any luggage whatever, including their own small personal daypack (containing their water, waterproof clothing, camera, etc)
- Luxurious suites at Gran Melia or Machweo in Arusha (subject to availability on your chosen dates) on the nights both preceding and following the trek
Descent of Kilimanjaro by Helicopter is Sometimes Possible
There is currently only one helicopter operator licensed to arrange collections and evacuations from Mount Kilimanjaro. Absent any investors in the field of aviation being inspired to invest in additional aircraft, it should be understood that the possibility of chartering this helicopter on the day that we need it is far from a certainty - even where we book the service long in advance.
However, where weather and availability allow, it is sometimes possible to curtail the descent by one day and opt to use the helicopter descent service. VIPs anticipating requesting a helicopter descent should however ensure they have allowed the original extra day for the descent on foot in their itinerary, as cloud cover, high winds and the helicopter's relatively unpredictable maintenance cycle preclude this option as being something that is guaranteed to happen.
Where a climb group opts to use the helicopter to descend, pick up will usually be from high camp at approximately 4,700m, back to civilization. Each helicopter descent is able to transport up to four persons, with 30-60 minutes' waiting time at leisure at high camp between successive pick-ups.
Hemingway Series Prices Per Person in US Dollars
|Route 👇 No. in group 👉||| 1 🧍 |||| 2 🧍 |||| 3 🧍 |||| 4 🧍 |||| 5 🧍 |||| 6 🧍 |||| 7 🧍 |||| 8 🧍 ||
|8 Day TK Lemosho Route
Kilimanjaro to Moshi
Kilimanjaro to Arusha*
Arusha Coffee Lodge
Arusha Coffee Lodge
Mobiles: Scroll right for larger groups 👉
*Note: a cost-inclusive alternative to the helicopter transfer from Moshi to Arusha is a vehicle transfer that takes about 3 hours.
For climbers entertaining the possibility of making a snap decision to use the helicopter to descend (subject to good weather and availability), you will need either to pre-fund to TK or else carry an 'escape fund' in cash in USD, based on the above requirements.